Every weekend I try to do a little DIY. This past weekend I decided to take the challenge of making ombre dip-dyed clothing. I dip dyed a bathing suit cover, t-shirt, some shirts for my manfriendship & some leggings. Next up I'd love to try pillow cases, curtains, and whatever else that is white haha!
Tie dye is pretty addicting. I ended up taking the shorts I was wearing off, bleaching them in javex & vinegar, then I dip dyed them in my tie dye! They look pretty cool if you ask me!
- Fabric Dye
- T-shirts (or whatever is white that you want to dye!)
- Buckets (one for each dye colour)
- Latex gloves
There are many ways to acheive the ombre dip-dye technique - but I just winged it. Here is what I did:
- First soak your shirt in warm water.
- Ring it out.
- Hold your shirt by the shoulders and carefully lower into the dye until the colour goes up as high as you would like it. Take it out quickly - don't let it linger.
- Repeat step 3 again, but only put the shirt half way in. Let it linger for a minute or 2. Take out.
- Repeat step 4 again, but just put the bottom of the shirt in the dye. Let it linger and swish it around a bit. This is the area you want the darkest to achieve that ombre look.
- Overall, the dye should go from light to dark or from one shade to the next.
Have fun - bring out your inner fashionista/hippie!